Re: Ugghhh cross threaded CW shaft into CW shaft adapter with metal threaded sleeve

Christopher Erickson

My guess is that there was a sliver or two of aluminum in the threads of the counterweight shaft and that is what got the shaft and the adapter bound up together. Cleaning those threads first with an old toothbrush or wire brush first might have helped.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 7:28 AM Christopher Erickson via groups.io <christopher.k.erickson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Your friendly local machine shop will be able to deal with this without a problem.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 7:11 AM Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi guys,
   Well, there are some people in this Universe who are blessed with the talent of not being able to do anything mechanical -- I'm one of those. My fear of cross threading the CW shaft into the CW adapter has finally come true :( :

As I untwisted the shaft out of the adapter (cursing and swearing + tapping with mallet on a long hex driver inserted into a hole in the adapter), instead of the shaft coming off, the metal sleeve came off with the shaft :(

Any ideas about how I can remove the shaft from the adapter?

And the best part was that I had actually lubed the threads of CW shaft so that I wouldn't do this.

Ugghhh!!!!!

cytan

P.S. The good thing is that I still have the old version of the CW adapter and an extra CW shaft, so technically, the AP1100 is still fine.