APPC/APPM

three quick questions:

  1. In a very small nutshell, how can a pointing model improve tracking?
  2. Why would you need such a model on a scope with encoders?
  3. How much improvement can you expect in unguided imaging with a mount without encoders?

I have a 900 mount and take lots of unguided images for photometry - over a hundred thousand todate.  A big factor in the quality of my data is tracking-related, costing me a lot of time filtering out the worst.  I am in line for a Mach2 but who knows when that will become reality.  I have been hesitant to buy the APPC given that it comes with the Mach2.  Hate to pay for the same thing twice.  :-)  But, if it really works.....
--
James (Bruce) McMath