Re: APPM Basic questions

Bill Long

I always use a model if I'll have the gear out for more than one night. When I'm doing a single night only, that's usually me testing some gear out working out some kinks and the model wouldn't be useful anyhow. They don't take long to make though and I can usually get them done before it's dark enough to start getting data anyhow.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of ap@... <ap@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 7, 2021 6:30 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APPM Basic questions

Apologies, there’s a misleading sentence my fingers failed to translate right from my brain:

>> Last time out I built a model.  I think I'm not supposed to use that model tonight when not in a permanent setup, right?   

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of ap@... via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, August 7, 2021 9:29 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APPM Basic questions

Could someone give me a sanity check.

I image with a tear down and set up nightly.  I do it from fixed pavers that gives me a fairly good polar alignment but not precise (tonight I was unusually close about 6' off in each direction once assembled).  I then do a polar alignment with other software to get it good. 

Last time out I built a model.  I think I'm not supposed to do that when not in a permanent setup, right?   And unliked tPoint there's no "recalibrate" model run, you build from scratch. So if I cannot (or do not want) to build a model tonight, I should turn off the model corrections, right?   (If they don't default to off). 

Now tonight it's partly cloudy.  I'm building a model but I think probably 1/3 or more of the sky I will get failures.  It's still running.  

Let's assume I have a good polar alignment and have done a plate solve and recal from another program (probably a sync that became a recal). 

At what point is it better to use the model as opposed to dispose of it entirely, if clouds are the issue (i.e. and I am not going to get a better one)?  Am I better with nothing, or pretty much anything I can get?

OK... while writing this it finished.  12 failed, 28 good solves, most of the failures in the SE.  So... I'm going to load it just because, but... should I?  How good or bad (relative to how much of the sky) is needed before the model does more good than harm?  Or is the answer it ALWAYS does more good than harm to pointing and tracking accuracy? 

Linwood

PS. I image, I guide, I realize that the model is less relevant to me, but I'm trying to learn good practices for using it, who knows, might do some unguided imaging at some point.

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.