Re: Preventing Pier Crashes

M Hambrick

Hi Alex

I am not yet using APCC to control my mount, but I will relate the behavior that I have observed on my 1100 GTO (Non-AE) with the Keypad controller. When I first got the mount I set up safe zone limits for my particular imaging train. In doing so I mistakenly thought that this would prevent any pier crashes during slewing, but this is not the case. The safe zone limits will only prevent you from selecting a catalog object to go to that is outside the safe zone. If you select an object that is inside the safe zone, the mount will slew to it according to the slewing instructions that are programmed into the keypad, and depending on the geometry of your imaging train, you can get a pier crash.

Mike