Re: Possible CP5 Wi-Fi module failure #WiFi

Roland Christen

No problem. I ran into a similar issue at my recent Hawaii outing. My WiFi would not connect. I knew it wasn't the WiFi that was not working, i knew instead that my brain wasn't. After configuring my laptop properly everything worked.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Aug 2, 2021 3:57 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Possible CP5 Wi-Fi module failure #WiFi

Roland,

After sending that first group.io call for help I spent several hours of testing and tweaking the CP5 and my home Wi-Fi network settings.  I found what seems to be a very stable solution. 

No offense was meant by the “toast” comment. It was simply that it had been working fine for several months, then starting 2 nights ago I couldn’t connect to either my home network or the CP5 access point no matter what I tried. There have been no changes to my home network, so it sure did manifest like it was Wi-Fi module failure. It wasn’t, and everything works great now. 

I shared my experience and settings with everyone since I’ve read on the boards about others who had similar, if not identical Wi-Fi connections issues with the Mach2 which A-P stated they were unable to recreate in the lab. 

Cheers,
Eric 

On Aug 2, 2021, at 10:36, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

From your description it does not sound like the WiFi is toast.
Call George or Howard at AP and they can assist you in connecting to your WiFi.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Aug 1, 2021 2:45 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Possible CP5 Wi-Fi module failure #WiFi

I've been using the CP5 Wi-Fi successfully for several months now.  My primary method of connectivity to my PC is serial over USB, but I always connect the CP5 to my home Wi-Fi network so I can simply control it via my iPhone using SkySafari Pro when I want.

Recently I was having issues connecting to my home network from my observing site which is less than 100 feet from the router.  I brought my Mach2 inside today to troubleshoot and was unsuccessful.  The CP5 Wi-Fi will not connect in station mode, or allow a connection as an access point.

With the mount 10 feet from the router it won't connect to my home Wi-Fi network (which is working); no IP or hostname shows up in APCC for Wi-Fi.  I've tired several antenna orientations.
I made a direct LAN connection to check the settings
The CP5 did connect to my home LAN network and populated the IP in APCC (still not Wi-Fi IP shown in APCC)
The CP5 would not connect to my home Wi-Fi network from the setting page (I confirmed the password is correct)
I started up the built in access point, connected, but could not join the access point network; all access point settings started out as OEM including the password
I tried several passwords, several power cycles, turning the Wi-Fi off and on, but even when the access point was created (sometimes it failed to even transmit the host name) I would get "Unable to join the network "GTOCP5_NET_102".

It sure seems like this Wi-Fi modules is toast.  Any ideas from users or A-P?

Thanks,
Eric

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.