Re: 1100GTO, slight free play in RA axis only. Is a backstop adjustment needed?

Roland Christen

The backstop won't adjust the free play. DON'T jam the back stop hard into position!
What does affect the free play is the retaining nut on the end of the worm. If this is loose or has backed off slightly, it will allow the worm to move back and forth. Call George at AP and he will assist you.

From: skester@...
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Aug 1, 2021 12:36 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] 1100GTO, slight free play in RA axis only. Is a backstop adjustment needed?

I've had my 1100 for a few months and it has performed well.  However I noticed from day 1 a small amount of free movement in the RA axis while the Dec axis has none.  The amount of play in the RA axis is between 1 and 2 mm of movement at the tip of the counterweight shaft.

Is this amount of play normal/correct, or should I adjust the RA gearbox backstop as described on page 34 fo the owners manual?

Thanks,
Scott