Re: APPM with ASI6200 and TSX Imagelink - bogus image data

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Wow, go to bed and lots to catch up on…

@Bill Long: Thanks for the pointers on the Model Properties.  I checked the exclude boxes.  Mine is actually showing 120, you said 10 or 20?  Also, should Correct for Refraction be checked, I would have thought so?  And thanks for the follow through on the camera stuff.

@Ray Grakak and @Bill Long re cameras:

First, this morning I tried the image Ray sent.  I still get the weird “Expose failed(1): StartExposureNumX Set – ‘1024’” – where 1024 was the image width.  It (something) is picking up the coded X width and misusing it, I think.

I understand the argument that “simulator works, real driver doesn’t, must be the real driver”.  I do, but there’s a lot more going on – one thing is the parameters I put into the simulator setup – maybe I screwed them up.  Not sure.  I CAN use your image in TSX with the simulator, just not APPM.

But here’s another side that seems to come out from last night’s discussion as well as my successful run:  The same ASCOM driver for the real camera works fine in TSX (and other programs, I tried NINA).  Add to that Bill tried several unrelated ASCOM camera drivers (Thank you!) and none worked in APPM (if I understood).

Note I’m not trying to pick on APPM. I now have a workaround using TSX.  I hope for a permanent workaround using NINA soon. So while the software developer in me thinks the issue is APPM, it may not be and I have a workaround.  So…

If it is useful to you (Ray) to pursue further, I’m more than happy to help, experiment, etc., try to figure out why you can run the simulator and I can’t (I have used it before, in NINA).  I’m also more than happy to provide traces or whatever might be useful from the ASCOM driver.  I can dig up the ASCOM validation routine as well, though in drivers I’ve written LOTS of bugs can still be in them and pass. 😊  Just let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

But if you are sure the problem lies in ZWO or otherwise not worth pursuing, that’s fine also. I’m delighted to get a decent model now, and have a workaround for the time being.

Thanks again to both, sorry I went to bed early, but I already trust the AP1100 to just do its thing – and it did, flip and all.

@Geoffrey Collins and use of TSX:  It took me a few tries and a bit of trial and error but here is what I found that works:

  • Set up TSX with the camera, and connect
  • Connect the mount from TSX (no need to do anything with it, but this lets it get coordinates)
  • Take an image from TSX and plate solve (to be sure you can).  Note binning and also image scale from imagelink
  • Fire up APPM, and set up the camera in as TSX Camera Pro, and this is where I went wrong at first: in APPM on the Plate Solve settings, be sure to put the right image scale there.  I thought it would use my setting in Imagelink, but the scale is pushed in from APPM, and note it is the UNBINNED scale (says right on it, but didn’t keep me from putting binned in there the first time)
  • Do the immediate plate solve from APPM, see if it works.  If not, it should bring up the image in the viewer in TSX even if it fails, go there, plate solve, compare settings.  If TSX works and APPM doesn’t get a valid answer, it’s probably a settings difference on the camera or plate solving tabs.

I’m not sure if the mount has to be connected to TSX to plate solve through APPM, but I left it connected.  I figured this would give the camera software in TSX access to the coordinates which non-blind plate solving would need.

Note that also the bin and exposure setting comes from the camera tab in APPM and NOT from the camera setup in TSX.  APPM pushes the camera tab settings into TSX even though APPM is not driving the camera.  Convenient.  Wasn’t obvious to me, but it’s a nice setup.

Once I had all that, each plate solve took only a couple seconds, very fast, primary limiting factor in building the model was slew time, and a bit of exposure (I used 4 seconds with a 4” refractor, maybe less would have worked, but that worked on all but one frame and that was from clouds).

Linwood