Re: APPM with ASI6200 and TSX Imagelink - bogus image data

Ray Gralak

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but all ASCOM drivers are supposed to work the same. Was the FLI
ASCOM driver you used officially developed by FLI?
Yes it was.
Were you using a Kepler camera? There is no official FLI ASCOM Camera driver except for Kepler cameras:

https://www.flicamera.com/software/index.html

Not sure why that matters.
It matters because many of the ASCOM drivers have been written by amateur software developers, using a language, libraries, and development environment with which they are inexperienced. The result is that their drivers may work to some extent but are not 100% compatible with the ASCOM specification.

I think there is a legit problem with APPM working with ASCOM Camera. In fact, I tried 3 other cameras and it
doesnt work at all. Cant get an image from the camera at all.
If APPM doesn't work with ASCOM cameras, then it shouIdn't work with the ASCOM Camera Simulator either (but it does). The point of the ASCOM Camera simulator is to be a reference driver so developers don't have to buy and test every single camera.

A few months ago I purchased an ASI294MM specifically for the purpose of debugging the "out of memory" problem with the ASI Camera driver. I am able to get images with that camera as long as they are not full frame images. And that is because of how inefficiently the ASI ASCOM driver uses memory (almost 1GB of memory for a single 46MP monochrome image!).

-Ray