Re: 1100GTO AE PHD2 Settings #Absolute_Encoders #Guiding

Hi Joe

for a mount with absolute encoders like yours, you are going to want a different approach than what's outline in the baseline guiding document. (My experience is with the 1600 ae and i also wrote the PHD baseline guiding doc ).

you should still follow the baseline to the point where you run the guiding assistant and get your min moves, but you are going to want to do bump guiding, which is much less aggressive and does much better with absolute encoders.

Here are my observations

For guiding in PHD2 here are my settings (again, your min moves will be set by your guiding assistant run):
1x sidereal guiderate (which is the default, just don't mess with it)
4 second guiding exposure,
10 second "time lapse" (i.e., delay) between exposures.
lowpass 2 algorithm on both RA and DEC
medium aggressiveness (70 on scale from 1-100)
no backlash compensation

As I write this the guiding is around 0.25" total RMS, or about 1/2 a pixel on the CDK20/Proline 16803

image.png

i am still experimenting with aggressiveness: 50 seemed a little sluggish.

Perhaps just as informative, In my early testing using PHD2 guiding defaults of 2-3 second exposures ahd no delay, my guiding results were much worse on the order of 1.2-1.8" total RMS

Brian