Re: The Elephant Trunk Nebula in the Hubble palette

Yeah it's interesting to see how processing techniques are evolving. Starnet was a curiosity a couple years ago, and now it's front and center!

Brian

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 9:40 AM Robert Chozick via groups.io <rchozick=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree.  I meant that my method of masking out the target for processing, leaving the stars and background alone, does not work on extended nebula and large galaxies.   I am excited for the possibilities of the new method.

Really nice image but the stars are not as pronounced as they would be.  I will play with the process.

Robert

On Jul 27, 2021, at 11:15 AM, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

Hi Robert

>>>For extended nebula or large galaxies this does not work.

i think it works exceptionally well for extended nebulas, where enhancing the nebulosity without hurting the stars can really bring out structures

Although this image could certainly be improved, I used this approach to pull out nebulosity and blend back with the "regular version". IIRC i did this going between PS and Pix

(can't speak to galaxies because I use other techniques for those)

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 9:09 AM Robert Chozick via groups.io <rchozick=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks. This sounds like a very useful tool. As you all know, destruction of the stars is so easy with all the processes we do to make our pretty pictures.   Around a small target in Photoshop I can bring back the original background and stars easily.   For extended nebula or large galaxies this does not work.

Robert

On Jul 27, 2021, at 10:23 AM, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

Starnet only works on stretched images and is now part of regular PixInsight distribution

The "starmask" version produces a color version of the stars, which is good for blending back, but this approach can have some artifacting around the stars. A typical application is to use starnet to create the starless version for enhancing the nebulosity, then blending back into the "regular" image version using something like Screen blend mode (PS or PixInsight). ymmv

Brian

--
Brian

Brian Valente