Re: Mach2 APCC/APPM model for multiple nights in a mobile setting

Bill Long

Something is changing day over day that is enough to invalidate the mount model. You could try fixing the PA before each run and see if that has any effect. Maybe something is getting disturbed when you cover and uncover the gear?

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of mindspringtsai@... <mindspringtsai@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 7:42 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach2 APCC/APPM model for multiple nights in a mobile setting

I'm seeking advice on a multiple night mobile workflow to reuse an APCC/APPM pointing/tracking model created on the first for subsequent nights.

Here are my observations from the most recent new moon:
Night 1:  Created 50pt model. Successfully imaged unguided throughout the night on a two objects in different parts of the sky.  Powered down mount and covered it during the day.

Night 2:  Powered up mount, ran APPM verify with 30pts and found pretty large pointing deltas, greater than several arcmin.  A quick test exposure seemed to show a little bit of star trailing, but I didn't not spend time to quantify or debugging it.  Since the object I was shooting had a limited window, I just ran another 50pt model and successfully imaged throughout the night again.  Powered down mount and covered it during the day.

Night 3:  Ran 50pt model and successfully imaged throughout the night.

Running a 50pt model every night isn't a deal breaker for me because it only takes about 20min, but I'm interested in the experience of other mobile imagers.

Other details that may or may not be relevant:  OTA is OS RH200 and camera is ASI6200.

Cheers,
Curtis