Re: Preventing Pier Crashes

Joe Zeglinski

Sorry, for MY confusion, Ray.

    A bit muddle-headed this morning. Of course  APCC is “PC software”. The difference in CP3 versus CP4 firmware, in this regard, had me  briefly woolly-headed.

    My concern was the last sentence in your OP reply.

If ... your 1100 has a CP4 its firmware handles counterweight-up slews in a "safe" manner by always moving
> RA first to a counterweight-down position, then slewing to a target. Additionally, if the target is counterweight-up,
> then the last slew will be in RA only also.

(If your mount has a CP3 controller, then APCC performs these moves  ...  instead of the mount firmware.)

> -Ray
        My concern is what would happen IF THE USER specified the wrong CPx model being controlled by his APCC software?
    Perhaps the APCC is  for some reason, being used with a CP3 at the time, and the user forgot to change the CP ID. Hopefully, APCC figures out the CPx controller model – currently attached to the mount -  during its initialization phase.

    There have been times, for example, when I switched my CP4 back to running with an old CP3, for some bug chasing as a comparison, or if m CP4 was out for repairs  a couple of times. I would hate to think that the mount was vulnerable to my pre-set APCC Limits confusion – whether the mount was going to perform the collision avoidance slew “ballet pirouette”, or the APCC would do it in software (anyway) , if I forgot to change the CPx ID,   somewhere in its mount initialization settings.

Thanks,
Joe