Re: Imaging in the Wind

W Hilmo

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I’m thinking that I’ll probably build an 8x8, 6’ tall barrier that surrounds most of the site where I’m currently setting up.  I was already thinking about going with some kind of screen, instead of impermeable tarps.

I’m also thinking about the earlier comment about the turnbuckles in the wind.  I grew up sailing in the Seattle area, so I am very familiar with what happens to the rigging on the boat.  I’ve been thinking that wind hitting the scope was the problem, but it’s certainly possible that the wind is getting the turnbuckles to vibrate.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Chozick via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2021 7:14 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Imaging in the Wind

We have found that the smaller the structure the less this effect you mention applies.   8x8 seems to be optimal.   Light is always a concern for me.   

On Jul 23, 2021, at 7:53 AM, Len Fulham <lfulham@...> wrote:

I would like to make a comment re wind barrier and effectiveness.  With a impervious barrier such as a metal fence or tarp, there can be quite high forces applied to the structure and a lot of turbulence in the air as wind rolls in behind the barrier. It is my understanding that a barrier with perforations suppresses wind and reduces the turbulence effects and lowers the forces acting on the structure. Coarsely applied, this can be seen in canvas signs which often have holes cut in them. I have seen good effects from shade cloth and fly screen used in this role.

If anyone is making a tarp based barrier for portable use it is a simple process to try the fly mesh or a fairly open shade cloth instead of a tight material like a tarp. If the purpose is mainly as a light barrier then a opaque sheet would be preferred of course.

Just another idea to make your choices harder!

Len.

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.