RAll-sky camera traciing

Mike Dodd

I have a ZWO ASI camera that came with a fisheye lens. I've built a wooden bracket to hold the camera on top of the observatory roll-off roof, and this works OK for relatively short exposures (e.g., Geminids last winter).

I would like to capture the summer Milky Way, but I'm concerned that a stack of 1-minute exposures won't go deep enough.

Should I devise a way to mount the camera on my AP1200 + TMB130 OTA so it points straight up while the scope is pointed at Polaris, and let the mount track during a series of longer exposures? Or should I put it on the roof and get a string of 1-minute exposures?

Thanks for all advice.

--- Mike