Re: Off Topic-NUC Computer

M. Collins

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 11:13 AM, Dale Ghent wrote:

1) You have a 1200GTO which lacks the through-mount cabling, which means any cables coming off your telescope will be suspended in air for some portion and would present snag hazards and each be subjected to repeated flexing and wear for some portion of their length.
If you bundle all of the cables from the telescope and route them to a strut extending beyond the back plate 200 mm or so, then allow the bundle to form a loop to a point on the south side of the mount, it's quite easy to ensure that nothing will snag no matter how the telescope is oriented or moved from one position to another. This was described in an article I found on A-P's website several years ago. On my A-P 1200/RCOS system, I used a piece of 1/4 x 1 lattice to form the strut, so if a snag ever developed the strut would break before anything valuable was damaged. After at least a year of operation without a single issue, it was obvious that the precaution was unnecessary. A not-very-good picture (disregard the loose end on the left -- photo was taken during a camera swap):

  You can almost see that I used a Losmandy 'D' clamp to secure the strut to the back end of the dovetail. We chose the same same strategy to route cabling and optical fibers to a solar telescope on a G11 last year.

   Despite having far less free space to work with, we've had no issues with that configuration either. That mount has run pretty much all day, every day since October, so if anything was going to go wrong, it almost certainly would have by now.
   Perhaps not a good solution for folks who are setting up and breaking down between sessions, but it works well for fixed installations. As a counterpoint, we've seen issues with through-the-mount cabling on mounts which are in nightly operation, due to abrasion leading to shorts and opens.