Re: Off Topic-NUC Computer

Jeffc

On Jul 14, 2021, at 12:38 AM, W Hilmo <y.groups@hilmo.net> wrote:

Regarding Ethernet vs USB, I have several decades of professional software development experience, with most of it involving low level networking. I have no problem with “possible glitches” in the network stack.
Sure. Sounds good. Same here. Mostly enterprise datacenter work here. And over the years I have learned how flakey/buggy the consumer stuff can be (not to mention insecure).

If the stack is so reliable then why does your windows install complain about connecting “to a network for first time”?

Just sayin.

Btw, it’s not just bandwidth but also latency. Within the single router the latency should be negligible, but with multiple hops , over WiFi, etc there is going to be some latency — it would be interesting to measure the latency to see what it is, tho i wxpect negligible. USB otoh seems to me to be more isolated and appropriate for realtime applications. For this application it honestly probably doesn’t matter. USB to the mount works 100% for me at home or in the field. Windows networking is just not reliable enough FOR ME to depend on it for a critical link. YMMV.

-jeff