AP1100 voltage

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

I have an AP1100 on the way.  Any moment now.

I plan to use it in my back yard mostly, where AC power is available, but occasionally take it to a dark site with batteries.  I redid my batteries and wiring in prep, switching to powerpoles, and now have two set up, and the tripod has two 12V inputs; at home I will use two linear power supplies, and in the field two batteries on the same inputs; nice short wires, 10, 12 and 14AWG (in different parts).

In recent notes I see indications that higher voltages are better (though that was a Mach 2).  I also recall George suggesting a dedicated power supply that is variable.  The manual says do not exceed 16v, and recommends higher for colder and heavier loads, which I will not have (50# or so max, S. Florida temps).

Honestly I do not much care about faster slew speed, I just want reliability and stability.

So my question is kind of a two-for:

What voltage should I dial in on the adjustable power supply I am getting when using AC power?  Just normal batter voltage (let's say 13v)?

And depending on that answer, is there any point in my including a buck converter to get a bit more voltage from the battery scenario for occasional use?   (It's a group 24 deep cycle marine; it's plenty large that I should not even get to half capacity in a long winter night, so it should stay over 12.3v or so).

And yes, this is a minor detail but I have to DO SOMETHING while I wait.  :)

Linwood