Re: Off Topic-NUC Computer

Steve Reilly

Interesting option Eric but I like the NUC idea as it isn’t that much more, I think, then the ICRON Ranger. But it’s good to have options.

-Steve

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Weiner
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2021 2:04 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Off Topic-NUC Computer

Just a different possible solution. I was just able to pick up an ICRON Ranger 3104 for a good price. It works fantastically over 100’ of cat6 and is rated for ~300’. It took some troubleshooting to get it working (USB controller resets and serial port configs), but I’m running the following through a single cat6 over 100’ now with zero bottlenecks or upsests:

-QHY268M into UPBv2

-QHY5III guide camera into UPBv2

-Flip Flat into UPBv2

-MBox into UPBv2

-Optec focuser into UPBv2

-UPBv2 through my Mach2 to the 3104 Rex

-2x serial to USB from CP5 to 3104 Rex

3104 Rex to 3104 Lex over cat6 to my home office PC.

It has LAN pass through as well.

I’m not certain about your HDMI link, but the 3104 is designed to pass teleconferencing data.

I’m fairly confident that several serial over USB devices connected to a hub will work through a singe USB 3 port on the 3104. I can test this with mine if you like.

In the process I was able to optimize USB speed settings in the ASCOM drivers such that my download speeds are faster now than they were using a local laptop for data acquisition. Each box is 24VDC which works out nice for Mach2 owners.

Just thought I’d share my recent experience as a potential option.

Cheers,

Eric

On Jul 12, 2021, at 11:43, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

Hi Steve

I pretty much only use nuc-style computers (and by this I mean headless computers that I access remotely).

i have a few here that work just fine: Intel NUC, Lenovo has some good ones. They are reasonably priced, though most have fans. I have also picked up many of them coming off lease, well equipped and with windows 10 pro for around $200-250.

When we looked at NUCs for our remote obs in chile, the main reason we went with fanless was not better cooling, but minimizing points of failure. The technicians there said if and when something on the computer fails, it's almost always the fan (environment, dust, etc.) so fanless was a way to eliminate that.

If you feel your environment and risk factors would lead you to a fanless design, I do like OnLogic. They have added some smaller NUC style computers more recently, so you might either message them or browse their catalog. They were a little tricky for me to find

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Steve Reilly <sreilly24590@...> wrote:

I would guess sit on the pier.

-Steve