Re: Flexure Measurement - How Much is Too Much ?

Mike Dodd

On 6/21/2021 3:29 PM, M Hambrick wrote:
Roland has stated on multiple occasions that using a separate guide
scope is not the ideal way to do guided imaging because of flexure. How
much flexure is considered excessive ?
ANY flexure is too much! :-) You can read about my experience here: <http://astronomy.mdodd.com/flexure.html>

...after a single 600 second exposure I measured the
shift in the position of the guide star centroid to be 0.053 pixels in
the X-direction, and 0.304 pixels in the Y-direction. This doesn't seem
to be too bad in the X-direction, but I am not so sure about the
Y-direction. Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If your images look good, then your flexure is so small you shouldn't have to worry about it.

--- Mike