Mach2 in a Pelican Case

Shane Ramotowski

Hi all!

My Mach2 is finally portable!  I bought a Pelican 1560 case and adapted it to securely hold the Mach2 during transport.

See:
<http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/mach2_pelican.jpg>
<http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/mach2_pelican_empty.jpg>

The frame is 3/4 inch plywood lined with 5mm neoprene wherever it is in contact with the mount.  The Mach2 fits (almost too) snugly and does not move at all when in the case.  The black area on the lid contacts the mount on the RA axis to keep it from moving in the out-of-the-case direction when the lid is closed.  The frame is attached to the bottom of the case by 4 L brackets and to the front and back with 4 bolts each through the side of the case, a plastic wedge and the frame itself.  The frame does not move in the case and the Mach2 does not move in the frame.

You can see the white plastic wedge and bolts here:
<http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/pelican_bolts.jpg>

I have to take the saddle off and drop the altitude all the way to fit it in, but it's OK as the mount it only takes a minute to put the saddle back on and only about 3 minutes to polar align, which I would have to do anyway, since I just moved the mount.  I'm going to store the saddle in the area to the right of the mount in a pouch.

Ready for a Star Party!

- Shane

--
Shane Ramotowski