Re: Rescue an old 400QMD?

Anthony DAngelo

I was hoping to get a ap 400 but to no avail.make offer on controller i will give pic.of the one i have in private e-mail ,reasonable offer will consider.Anthony

On Jun 12, 2021, at 1:04 PM, Jeff B <mnebula946@...> wrote:

Anthony, really a spare controller?  Alan, if you do not opt for the mount, Anthony, I'd like to get your spare controller.

No, the QMDs cannot be converted to goto operation, at least with the AP system.  But there are AP400 GTO's out there.

I have an old 400 QMD and it is an excellent mount but with the basic controller and the full up QMD paddle would be better really.

A great mount, sort of mid way between a Losmandy G11 and GM8 with excellent damping qualities.  It holds my AP 127 F8 Starfire and TEC 140 ED just fine.

Jeff

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 11:55 AM Anthony DAngelo <dangelo.anthony@...> wrote:
I have a spare hand control if needed or would consider purchase of mount,thanks Anthony

On Jun 12, 2021, at 10:22 AM, alan137 <acfang137@...> wrote:

Hello folks,
There's an old 400 QMD near me for sale that was probably acquired at an estate sale or whatever and the seller doesn't know much about it.  It seems to include literally the mount head only and no accessories like counterweight shaft, hand controller, etc.
Are these parts still available?
Can this mount be converted / updated into a modern imaging platform with GOTO and computer control and guiding?
I think the original specs were that the motors only slew up to 16x.

<GM8 Comparison.jpg>
<5 inch F8 Pre ED Starfire 2.jpg>
<TEC 140 ED.jpg>