Re: NINA and utilizing APCC meridian limits

Dale Ghent

On Jun 11, 2021, at 18:53, ap@captivephotons.com <ap@CaptivePhotons.com> wrote:

IF you've mapped out these collision areas using APCC's meridian limit config tool, then SMF will observe these limits and flip (or stop) the scope 10 seconds prior to encountering them. This is why I mentioned the plugin having two time statuses: one for any pre-meridian pause, the other for the actual flip time. Optimally they would be the same, meaning you don't have to stop work to avoid a collision while you wait for the target to sail through the meridian and get low enough so that you can then safely flip and resume.
What does it do about timing of the flip itself. It will stop early, which is good. But does it wait to send the flip commands (pierside or new slew or both) until the target will be out of the prohibited area?
In this case, the flip will occur when the target reaches an angle on the other side of the mount that is clear of any defined obstruction. The target will then get recentered and such (if that option is on) and the session resumes.

So yeah the scope will be sitting there with tracking off, watching the sky go by until the target "emerges" from any collision zone on the other side of the mount whereupon the flip will happen. The time this will occur is displayed by the plugin.

It's plausible that we could do something like park the scope for that duration if it's a long time to wait for the flip, just so it's not staring up into the sky while it does nothing. But I don't honestly know how common this kind of situation is because it's highly undesirable to be in in the first place and should be avoided or minimized with a proper hardware configuration (ie, getting rid of such large obstructions)

Case in point: a person I once worked with got an hour of imaging time back just by rotating his filter wheel 180 degrees, turning the long side of it "up" and therefore away from the tripod legs. He could then image to the meridian instead of having to stop 30 minutes prior to it and waiting 30 minutes afterwards.