Re: Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Don Anderson

Hello Cytan
I wouldn't bother putting anything on the threads. If you are worried about the CW shaft getting stuck to the adaptor, use some anti seize compound and put it on the shoulder of the shaft and/or the mating surface of the adaptor. Better yet, use one of APs Delrin washers and you will never have a problem. If you are worried about wearing out the threads (could take 50yrs to do that) you could put a small amount of 3 in One oil on the threads. If you want an anti seize compound, Christopher has recommended a god one. Also, if you are near a marine store, you can get anti seize compound at any marine or automotive supply store.
My advice is worth as much as Christopher's!Emoji

Don Anderson

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 03:42:19 p.m. MDT, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...> wrote:

Thanks for the warning about WD40. That's another reason to ask here because I'm really not mechanically inclined.

cytan

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 04:38:55 PM CDT, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

I would say to NEVER use WD-40 on anything on a telescope. It is a PENETRANT, not a LUBRICANT. It will penetrate into circuit boards and ruin them. It will penetrate under paint coatings and destroy them. It will penetrate into optical assemblies and contaminate them. It will destroy older-style coatings on vintage lenses. It is infamous for penetrating past primers and ruining ammunition stores. Used properly to break free rusted nuts on trucks and stuff is what it is meant for.

A small drop of Break-Free CLP is an excellent anti-galling lubricant for aluminum and stainless threaded things. Wipe away any excess that comes out of the threads. If you leave too much of it in threads, it could wick out a bit and spread around. Although it is not a penetrant.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Fri, May 28, 2021, 6:07 AM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:
I use a little bit of powdered graphite on the counterweight shaft threads.