Re: Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Christopher Erickson

I would say to NEVER use WD-40 on anything on a telescope. It is a PENETRANT, not a LUBRICANT. It will penetrate into circuit boards and ruin them. It will penetrate under paint coatings and destroy them. It will penetrate into optical assemblies and contaminate them. It will destroy older-style coatings on vintage lenses. It is infamous for penetrating past primers and ruining ammunition stores. Used properly to break free rusted nuts on trucks and stuff is what it is meant for.

A small drop of Break-Free CLP is an excellent anti-galling lubricant for aluminum and stainless threaded things. Wipe away any excess that comes out of the threads. If you leave too much of it in threads, it could wick out a bit and spread around. Although it is not a penetrant.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Fri, May 28, 2021, 6:07 AM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:
I use a little bit of powdered graphite on the counterweight shaft threads.