Re: Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Roland Christen

As long as you don't use the counterweight shaft to clean your optics, it should not matter if there is a bit of grease on the threads. You can also use a dry lubricant, which is less messy.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, May 28, 2021 9:06 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Hi guys,
   So, after a few trepidatious taps with a mallet and a long T-handle allen wrench, I got off the adapter. Whew :)

I've always wanted to know this: Is it ok to put some grease or WD40 to the threads of the CW shaft to make screwing in the shaft smoother? Of course, I have on the back of my mind that grease and optics don't mix.

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 11:25:15 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The gearbox is not attached to the counterweight shaft adapter. Use a large Phillips head screw driver and tap it with a hammer in CCW direction.

Roland

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2021 11:17 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter

Hi Roland,
   So I don't need to disengage the clutches or the gear box?

I can definitely tap with the best of 'em :)

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 10:08:48 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Tap the Allen wrench with a hammer and it will loosen the adapter.

Roland

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2021 8:42 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter

Hi guys,
   I just received the new AP1100 CW shaft adapter with SS insert and I want to replace the existing one without the SS insert. I removed the CW shaft and my telescope and then in the park 3 position,  I inserted an allen wrench into the holes of the adapter and applied some force. Nothing moved. I didn't want to apply more persuasion because I was afraid to damage the gears because the clutches were still engaged and so were the spring loaded gear boxes.

So before, I apply more persuasion, what is the safe way to do this without damaging anything?

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.