Re: Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Roland Christen

As long as you don't use the counterweight shaft to clean your optics, it should not matter if there is a bit of grease on the threads. You can also use a dry lubricant, which is less messy.

From: Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, May 28, 2021 9:06 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Hi guys,
   So, after a few trepidatious taps with a mallet and a long T-handle allen wrench, I got off the adapter. Whew :)

I've always wanted to know this: Is it ok to put some grease or WD40 to the threads of the CW shaft to make screwing in the shaft smoother? Of course, I have on the back of my mind that grease and optics don't mix.

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 11:25:15 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The gearbox is not attached to the counterweight shaft adapter. Use a large Phillips head screw driver and tap it with a hammer in CCW direction.

Roland