Re: Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi guys,
   So, after a few trepidatious taps with a mallet and a long T-handle allen wrench, I got off the adapter. Whew :)

I've always wanted to know this: Is it ok to put some grease or WD40 to the threads of the CW shaft to make screwing in the shaft smoother? Of course, I have on the back of my mind that grease and optics don't mix.

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 11:25:15 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The gearbox is not attached to the counterweight shaft adapter. Use a large Phillips head screw driver and tap it with a hammer in CCW direction.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2021 11:17 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter

Hi Roland,
   So I don't need to disengage the clutches or the gear box?

I can definitely tap with the best of 'em :)

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 10:08:48 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Tap the Allen wrench with a hammer and it will loosen the adapter.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2021 8:42 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter

Hi guys,
   I just received the new AP1100 CW shaft adapter with SS insert and I want to replace the existing one without the SS insert. I removed the CW shaft and my telescope and then in the park 3 position,  I inserted an allen wrench into the holes of the adapter and applied some force. Nothing moved. I didn't want to apply more persuasion because I was afraid to damage the gears because the clutches were still engaged and so were the spring loaded gear boxes.

So before, I apply more persuasion, what is the safe way to do this without damaging anything?

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.