Ticking noise after regreasing 1100

Eric Claeys

I just re-greased my 1100 and am getting a ticking noise in RA when going west. I took off the gear cover and the noise is coming from the middle (topmost) gear, and occurs once every revolution.   I originally tightened the middle gear until there was resistance, then a tiny bit more.  If I loosen the middle gear enough, I can get the ticking to stop when going west, but then it appears when going east.  Loosening the gear also causes it to go up and down about 0.5 mm when switching directions, and the gear feels loose.

I didn't drop or bang the gear, and as far as I know, nothing fell out while greasing it.  I removed it and checked the teeth and there's nothing stuck in them and I couldn't feel any burrs.  The noise happens at 1200, 600, and 64.  It might happen at other speeds, but they're so slow I can't tell.

A picture of the gears is at https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/photo/264415/3232606?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0.

Any ideas?

Eric