Re: Dual scope setup question

John Jennings

I guess it wasn't a well defined question. We have seen multiple paradigm shifts in the last 5-10 years that are driving fast growth in the amateur imaging community.

Changes include:
   CMOS cameras (short exposures with lots of data)
   unguided imaging with/without ABS encoders  (AP / APCC Pro and others)
   narrowband/broadband filters for OSC cameras (Imaging from the city and pseudo narrowband)
   automated acquisition software to capture more data during precious good weather nights (CCD Autopilot, SGM  & others)
   processing software and techniques (PixInsight, StarTools, DSS, ASTAP & others)
   low cost entry mounts that produce reasonable images at short focal lengths with fast CMOS cameras. (short exposure, less tracking issues)
   Social media that drives amateur collaboration. (Quick answers for new imagers.)

It would be great at the amateur level to have multiple computer systems coordinating dithering and automated imaging run tasks etc. This could be used for tandem setups or multiple telescope systems (occultations etc). I already use onboard NUC's or Beelink clones for each scope's instrument package. This requires changes to the camera control software like MaximDL and/or automated control programs like CCD Autopilot and SGM.  Simple open platform semaphore communication could really help with coordination between systems. Yes, I was a career software engineer but I don't control the applications software and prefer to spend time imaging and not writing code.

I went for the dual tandem bar / different focal length setups for awhile and just gave up as the operation was awkward for unattended automated imaging for my goals. APPC Pro does pretty good with my tandem setups, (Scopes are aligned with minimum cone)  but I get better unguided results at higher focal lengths with an individual setup. (Mach1, AP900, AP1200)

John

Just asking a general forward thinking question.