Re: Celestial Whale

Don Anderson

Thanks Rolando! I'll try that with my Tele Vue NP127is using the .8X reducer (528mm f/l). I can use your procedure to fine tune the calibration on my RAPAS.

Don Anderson

On Friday, May 14, 2021, 06:15:18 p.m. MDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Start with my quick and easy daylight polar alignment (Park4, level etc.). Use your main imaging camera with H-a filter and send the mount to a bright star overhead. Use a wide field short FL scope (no SCTs). Have the camera aligned so that left-right is RA and up-down is Dec.

1) pull up the crosshair in MaximDL
2) Put the star on the crosshair and watch it drift for about 2 minutes. Use continuous mode and note the exact pixel where it ended up after 2 minutes.
3) Turn the azimuth adjuster until the star is at one end of your frame (left or right). Using your up-down slo-mo buttons, put the star back on the crosshair (not the center but at the edge).
4) Watch it drift for same exact amount of time. Note the exact pixel where it ended up.

Draw a line between the 2 end positions. Where it intersects the left-right crosshair is where you want to put this star using the azimuth adjusters.

I take two images of the star's positions and layer one on top of the other so that both stars can be seen. Then use a line tool to draw the line between them.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, May 14, 2021 5:56 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Celestial Whale

And what is that?

Don Anderson

On Friday, May 14, 2021, 02:01:23 p.m. MDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

MaximDL has no way to tell. However it has a nifty tool that I developed to get the drift to zero in just a few minutes.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, May 14, 2021 2:02 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Celestial Whale

Yeah I'm curious too but I also imagine the software can tell you too.

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 2:51 PM Worsel via groups.io <bryancashion=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Roland

That's amazing performance.  Do you have an idea how polar mis-aligned the setup was, even qualitatively?

Bryan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.