Re: Dual scope setup question

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

I run three scopes on one AP1600 mount with one computer.   I don’t know how you would get coordinated dithering if you place a computer on each scope and think that having multiple computers on one mount is not the solution.   The only challenge I have besides and occasional flexure of one of the scopes which misaligns it is coordinated dithering.  I just trash a sub or two when dithering interferes.   NINA has coordinated dithering, but I have not tried it yet.  I find it somewhat efficient to just lose a sub or two due to dithering.

Emilio

Chris,

I never thought about this, it is a great idea to use 2 computers to make two systems independent.

Yanzhe

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 11:44 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

Personally if I were doing a dual scope setup on one mount I would put a NUC on top of each OTA and have two serial cords going down to the two serial ports on the CP3/4/5. SO MUCH EASIER to get the software bits to all work correctly when each NUC only sees one cam, one filter wheel, one mount, one focuser, one autoguider, etc.

Or MUCH BETTER yet, give each OTA it's own AP mount.

And just like I always say...

"My advice is free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson

Observatory Engineer

Summit Kinetics

Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 6:02 PM Kent Kirkley via groups.io <kgkirkley=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

If each gas it's own OAG, no problem.

I can't advise on 'wiring' as I use an AP1200 which doesn't have
thru the mount access. I would say just minimize and carefully
route the cables, bundle and cord wrap.

Kent Kirkley