Re: Dual scope setup question

Kent Kirkley

Andrew

Contrary to rational thinking, you don't have to use a long focal length guide scope (depending
on the focal length of the imaging instrument).
I have an AP160 on an AP1200GTO mount and have used an SBIG eFinder with Remote Guide
Head with my SBIG STL-11000 camera. The Remote Guide Head and eFinder is mounted directly
to the AP160's focuser housing. It has guided the 1200mm focal length perfectly. Yes it's older technology
today but demonstrates long focal length guide scopes aren't necessary.
You could use any guide type camera and short focal length lens, even a 35mm camera lens or Borg
short focal length scope. Small and light weight is the key.

Kent

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2021 9:02 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Dual scope setup question

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 02:09 PM, Kent Kirkley wrote:
To prevent this, mount the guide scope directly on the primary instrument, not
on the rings.
Hi Kent/All.

Thank you for your response to the OP question. Your response reminded me of a question I have had for some time. I often hear the advice to avoid mounting a Guide Scope using rings and to mount the guide scope directly to the primary instrument to avoid flexure issues. What is not as clear to me is how to mount a guide scope other than small finder scopes to the primary instrument without using rings? 
I have a TEC 140 equipped with a Starlight Instruments FTF#3545 Feather Touch Focuser which has mounting holes for a small guide/finder scope. I currently use the 10×60 Baader Vario scope with the AP 10 x 60 Quick Release Guider Bracket (1060VGKIT). Which is all well and good as long as I stick with a small light weight finder/guide scope like the 10 x 60 Baader Vario scope. However, if I wanted to use something larger, like an 80mm scope for guiding, how can this be mounted directly to the primary instrument without using rings? I have just always been curious as to what mounting options you have if you want to use a larger guide scope and still avoid using rings. It maybe that the side-by-side mounting option being discussed in this thread is the only option, but just wanted to confirm. 

Thanks for the useful advice.

Clear Skies,
Andrew J

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.