From: Andrew Jones <andjones132@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2021 9:02 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Dual scope setup question

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 02:09 PM, Kent Kirkley wrote:
To prevent this, mount the guide scope directly on the primary instrument, not
on the rings.
Hi Kent/All.

Thank you for your response to the OP question. Your response reminded me of a question I have had for some time. I often hear the advice to avoid mounting a Guide Scope using rings and to mount the guide scope directly to the primary instrument to avoid flexure issues. What is not as clear to me is how to mount a guide scope other than small finder scopes to the primary instrument without using rings?
I have a TEC 140 equipped with a Starlight Instruments FTF#3545 Feather Touch Focuser which has mounting holes for a small guide/finder scope. I currently use the 10×60 Baader Vario scope with the AP 10 x 60 Quick Release Guider Bracket (1060VGKIT). Which is all well and good as long as I stick with a small light weight finder/guide scope like the 10 x 60 Baader Vario scope. However, if I wanted to use something larger, like an 80mm scope for guiding, how can this be mounted directly to the primary instrument without using rings? I have just always been curious as to what mounting options you have if you want to use a larger guide scope and still avoid using rings. It maybe that the side-by-side mounting option being discussed in this thread is the only option, but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks for the useful advice.

Clear Skies,
Andrew J