Re: Ramblings on goto (Hit delete key now<g>)

Ron Wodaski <ronw@...>

I've now used a Takahashi NJP-160 as well as AP 400 and 600 mounts, and the
only issue I can see around orthogonality is that you will have a much
easier time with the GOTO's polar alignment routine if you have
orthogonality.

If you polar align any mount with a bore scope instead, from what I can see,
orthogonality isn't much of an issue. I have digital setting circles on the
NJP, and without paying the slightest attention to orthogonality, I put
objects on the chip every time.

On the other hand, when trying to polar align my AP GTO mounts with the aid
of the hand controller, anything non-orthogonal turns into a real demon. <g>
Mirror flop makes polar alignment virtually impossible. I had one set of
rings/dovetail that were set just about completely orthogonal, and that set
was easy to use. Anything else was trouble.

So my thinking is pretty simple on this: if you want to do
hand-controller-aided polar aligning, you'll have to pay the price to create
or confirm orthogonality. I think that that unavailability of the AP bore
scopes played into this problem.

Ron Wodaski
http://www.newastro.com