Re: Tracking Graph Diagnosos

>>> is this amount of drift considered to be too much ? The scale is + 20 arc sec, so I estimate about 1 arc second per minute drift in both RA and Dec.

if you image for 10 minute subs, that would be 10 arcsec drift, or 10 pixels if you had an example image scale of 1"/pix

so your stars would smear by 10 pixels. I would say that's far too much

Doing unguided with just visual polar alignment would be really tough. Using APPM and a sky model would help considerably for tracking improvements that compensated for polar misalignment

Brian

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:02 AM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:
I ran an unguided tracking graph on my 1100GTO (non-AE) mount for about 12 minutes last night to see how much drift I am getting. I am assuming that the drift in each axis is due to the polar alignment being off, but is this amount of drift considered to be too much ? The scale is + 20 arc sec, so I estimate about 1 arc second per minute drift in both RA and Dec.

Note that I have a portable setup and use only the RAPAS to polar align. If this amount of drift is too high, then I probably need to check my RAPAS to make sure it is still aligned.

Mike

--
Brian

Brian Valente