Re: Losing Communications with the Mount

Christopher Erickson

When I commented about possible comm buffer overflows, I was speaking from the perspective of an embedded (controller, microcontroller) programmer, not as a LAN/WAN administrator or IP wonk. Non-programmers have no access to or awareness of comm buffers and such and don't need to worry about them. Embedded programmers do.

Many types of DoS (Denial of Service) attacks are specifically crafted to exploit various hardware and software buffer limitations and overflows scenarios.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 3:18 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

> On May 6, 2021, at 19:50, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
>

> Certain kinds of broadcast storms are known to disrupt LAN communications with certain ARM processors via comm buffer overflows, depending on the status of a multitude of various internal variables.

What on earth are you even talking about. Comm buffer overflow? Broadcast storms due to certain ARM processors? This makes -zero- sense.

- Someone who actually works on OS IP stack code