De : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> de la part de Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...>
Envoyé : 6 mai 2021 16:24
À : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Objet : Re: [ap-gto] Losing Communications with the Mount

My experience with TCP comes from 30 years of telecommunications and robotics engineering. My primary concerns are much more with Layer-1 of the OSI model (cables, connectors) and Layer-2 (Ethernet frames), not Layer-3 (IP packets) or Layer-4 (TCP/UDP.)

OSI Layers 1 & 2 are VERY opaque to the average user so consequently they are usually ignored when troubleshooting. I think this is typically a mistake. Sort of like looking for your car keys under a nice streetlight instead of next to your car, where you dropped them.

PingPlotter is a very graphical, visual troubleshooting tool that has a free version. It is PROFOUNDLY better and more intuitive than using the DOS prompt command line Ping command. PingPlotter also incorporates a very nice, visual, graphical, dynamic traceroute. Download it and try it out. You won't go back to the nasty DOS prompt command line ever again, unless forced to on a strange machine.

I agree Wireshark is a complicated tool. I already stated that. However I believe that the typical AP mount owner is more qualified than the average person to gain benefit from it, given some time. I would add that starting with PingPlotter instead of Wireshark would be good.

It could be bad to have a firewall or router in between the CP4/5 and the observatory PC. If there is, it might have LAN packet filtering capabilities, which I would disable, if I could.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com