Re: Losing Communications with the Mount

Donald Gaines

Hi Christopher,
My computer has no RS-232 (Serial I think) ports, just USB.  Would the 15’ serial cable that comes with the 1100GTO mount along with the Astro-Physics Serial to USB converter, provide the same performance and reliability as the RS-232 you mention below?
BTW, Observatory Engineer.....in Hawaii.....you must really enjoy going to work!
Thanks,
Don Gaines

On Thursday, May 6, 2021, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
TCP is more reliable than UDP if there are a bunch of lost packets on your network for some reason. Bad cable someplace, congestion, etc.In other words, TCP can hide a network problem that UDP does not. If UDP doesn't work, it is worthwhile trying to find out why and fixing it.

Also check your Ethernet cable lengths. Any cable over 100m can cause timeouts, retransmission congestion and packet loss.

Mixing different brands and vintages of Ethernet switches can sometimes cause problems. Different vintage Ethernet transceiver chips, different protocol capabilities, etc.

Get rid of any old Ethernet hubs.

Home made cables can have various issues due to bad crimps, crossed pairs, etc.

Check all cable connectors & sockets for oxidation, corrosion, bent pins, etc.

Make sure there is only one DHCP server on your network.

Always use Ethernet instead of WiFi, when you can.

The most robust and reliable mount communications option of all is RS-232 to a real serial port on your observatory computer. Second-best option is USB. Third is Ethernet and last place goes to WiFi. Ethernet is less reliable than USB because Ethernet and TCP use connectionless, multi-point protocols that make any device-to-device communications more vulnerable to disruption by a multitude more things. Also, most USB connectors are total, unreliable cr*p.

Wireshark is a free, open-source network diagnostic tool that can give you insights into your network. It is very powerful and does have a bit of a learning curve.

PingPlotter is a great, simple diagnostic tool that can be used to track down network congestion and packet loss in your network and your Internet connection.

Make sure you aren't suffering from duplicate IP addresses on your network. The WiFi and Ethernet ports MUST have different IP addresses from each other. Same goes for every single device port on your network.

If you have smart Ethernet switches that let you lock Ethernet ports to soecific, lower protocol speeds, try lowering them all to 10 or 100 MBPS and see if your network problems go away. Could be an auto-negotiation incompatibility issue between the switch and your CP4. Also if you have a smart switch, check its port statistics for clues.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, May 5, 2021, 2:35 PM Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
> Also, the mount stops tracking when communications starts failing.
> If it was just a communications failure
> between the computer and the mount, wouldn’t the mount continue to track?

When APCC is in use, its Safety Park feature will cause the mount to stop tracking if the mount does not receive regular messages from APCC.

So, that the mount stopped tracking indicates that communication failed in some way.

-Ray