Re: Losing Communications with the Mount

Howard Hedlund

Hi Alex,
For starters, I would hook up a USB cable as your backup COM port in APCC.  That's just a good idea regardless.  Ethernet connections through a network are usually our preferred method for communicating.  Here are a few things to consider:
  • Do each of these things one at a time, or you'll never know what the actual problem was.
  • Ray mentioned increasing the timeout to 300 mSec.  I would go even higher, especially if you have other users on this same network. If you have 2 or 3 people on the same home network, all streaming different 4K movies, you are bound to need occasional longer timeouts for the mount.  The IEEE protocol (if I understand and remember correctly) was originally set up for timeouts up to 3000 mSec (3 seconds).
  • Try a new cable or cables, and try a different port on your router or switch.  Check the cable ends, and check the receptacle.  Outdoor switches in observatories are great places for spiders to call home.
  • Change from the network (GTOCP4 is a client) to operating peer-to-peer (GTOCP4 is a server).  This setting can be changed on the webpage if you can access it.  It can also be changed using USB or serial and the SerialUtilities.jar program that is on your thumb drive.  You MUST power-cycle the CP4 for any changes to take effect.
  • If none of the above seems to help: 1. ground yourself to allow any static to discharge.  2. Carefully remove the white top cover of the CP4.  Mind the WiFi antenna lead!  The left side is taken up by a digital board that is mounted on the main board below.  3. Note whether there are screws or snap fittings holding the board in place.  The board may have been knocked partially loose by rough handling from shippers.  This is unlikely if the CP4 is new enough to have the screws, but either way, check that the board is properly seated.  The location of the connector between the boards is shown on the photo.  (This board is a prototype and will look a bit different from yours.)  This is the only place that may need reseating.
  • If you continue to have issues, call me at AP.