Re: Losing Communications with the Mount

Ray Gralak

Hi Alex,

Today I started playing with APCC and started to define the horizon, and it
happened again. APCC displays NO RESPONSE FROM MOUNT in the telescope position section. I also get
no response if I try to connect to the mount via a browser. Pinging the mount’s IP address also fails. I can only
get communications with the mount if I power cycle it, at which point APCC re-establishes communications.
If the mount won't ping, there could be a network or power issue.

Are you directly connecting the computer to the mount? Or, is it going through a network router/switch/hub?

Try replacing the network cable(s) and any hub/switch.

Also, try raising the timeout value slightly in APCC. You should not need to go over 300 msecs for most requests. The mount will respond to most requests very quickly, but depending on the performance of your computer, the responses might not make it back through the network protocol stack to APCC before a timeout occurs.

Lastly, try switching the network protocol type. In APCC, if you are using UDP, try TCP instead, or vice versa.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of alex
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 11:27 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Losing Communications with the Mount

Ok, I’ve finally have some time to start playing with my new 1100, and I’m having an issue with losing
connection with the mount. Everything would be going along, and then the driver starts complaining it can’t
communicate with the mount. Today I started playing with APCC and started to define the horizon, and it
happened again. APCC displays NO RESPONSE FROM MOUNT in the telescope position section. I also get
no response if I try to connect to the mount via a browser. Pinging the mount’s IP address also fails. I can only
get communications with the mount if I power cycle it, at which point APCC re-establishes communications.

I’m not using a USB connection to the mount. I’ve directly connected to my network via ethernet, as well as
connecting it to my WiFi. I have APCC setup to use the direct ethernet connection, so WiFi issues aren’t the
problem.

The last time this happened, the mount was simply tracking during an exposure and communications failed
about halfway through the exposure. It’s clear from that exposure during the failure that tracking stopped as
the stars started streaking. I got the mount and downloaded all the software last week, so I assume I'm all up
to date on that account. The PC has windows 10 Pro and the latest updates.

I’m at a loss as to what might be going on. Any suggestions as how to troubleshoot this?

Alex

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.