Re: Spikes in DEC #guiding #Guiding

Hi Sebastian

I meant things exactly like what Roland said - he suggested it was DEC imbalance.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 11:43 AM Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

encoder mounts like the Mach 2 require some basic correct setup, and i'm not sure yours is there

Just re-reading your comment above and  I'm not sure I clearly understand what you mean by "basic correct setup". Are suggesting I should refine some settings within the imaging/guiding softwares ? Or are you saying I should look into the mechanical aspect of the OTA, OAG, camera, etc. ?

I just saw Howard and Roland also replied, so I will follow-up with them as well.

I must add I am not just blown away by the mount's performance which, as you pointed out, is very good at < 0.5", but also by AP's ***** (five stars) customer service. A flawless customer experience...

Sebastien

De : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> de la part de Brian Valente <bvalente@...>
Envoyé : 3 mai 2021 03:00
À : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Objet : Re: [ap-gto] Spikes in DEC #guiding #guiding

HI Sebastian

I suggest you take this up with AP in their forums

encoder mounts like the Mach 2 require some basic correct setup, and i'm not sure yours is there (i'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with the mount at all: you are guiding < 0.50")

 looking at a typical run, your DEC is odd for the following reasons:
- those excursions are not the result of any PHD type of correction
- all your corrections are in one direction both RA and DEC, and corrections exhibit a clumping

this is dec showing the large instantaneous jumps and guiding in only one direction
image.png

image.png

I suggest you do a guiding assistant run for a few minutes to measure polar misalignment. it could be something is terribly off on polar align, but based on what you're saying i don't know.

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 10:29 PM Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.  Logs here: https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_BqZp.zip

I should probably have added that my imaging scale is 1.04"/px. So it's probably impacting a bit, maybe not much... But to be honest my concern was also about the working order the mount.

But don't get me wrong, I'm coming from a low budget asian mount and got the Mach2 about 2 months ago. It performs WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better, no question there. So there's the fact that I'm not very familiar with AP mounts limits regarding tracking and guiding yet. Had a handful of clear nights only. And I know my system is the challenging kind (mirrors, long FL, reducer backfocus, etc.)... So I just thought I'd ask for educated guess here.

Might also be PA as you pointed out. But I thought I did well since I polar aligned with RAPAS at the beginning of my session and refined with PHD2 polar drift align afterward. When I ran the Guiding assistant, I recall it was saying it was around 2-3 arcmin from the NCP... Do you think it's reasonable for my imaging scale (1"/px) ?

Sebastien