Re: AP1200 GTO chatter

Dale Ghent

1. You'll need to run PEMPro for a new curve anyway, even if your spur gears stayed in the same orientation. When you do work like this, you're essentially committing to that as a step in the process; you cannot really avoid it (unless you run with PEC = off of course, and you ought to until you can generate a new curve)

2. Tacky is fine in my experience. The mineral spirits are used to dissolve grease that is caked on and hardened or just cannot be wiped out of a deep groove. The follow-up with alcohol is to remove any residue from the heavier mineral spirits so that it in turn doesn't affect the new grease you put down afterwards.

3. Not in my experience. Make sure you've tightened the worm evenly on both sides. You don't need to crank down hard on the screws either. Turn both by the same amount. This is where a sense of feel comes into play so it's kind of hard to describe how to do it over email... but whatever you do, be sure do it evenly. I'm willing to bet that this difference you notice might be because of an uneven tightening.

On May 3, 2021, at 12:25, Mike C <mike@scopenews.com> wrote:

I finally removed my DEC gearbox on my AP1200. I haven't done the RA yet. The mount has been getting a bit louder with each passing Winter and started really talking this last WInter on the first slews of the evening. I removed all the old grease and got the worm and wheel quite shiny. I applied the new grease from the AP kit.

Afterwards, inside at least, the DEC operation is quieter than I remember in a long time.

Questions -

1) I marked the spur gears with pencil but the pencil marks were lost on the plastic gear when cleaning. So.. I hope that original orientation isn't that important? I dont mind running PemPro once I work the RA axis. Do I need to worry about spur gear orientation if I plan on using Pempro?

2) After cleaning , the worm/wheel surfaces still had a somewhat tacky feel to the surface though it looked quite shiny and clean throughout. Normal? Is this when you reach for mineral spirits? Why is it so important to remove mineral spirits with denatured alchohol after?

3) After re-assembly. Moving in one direction sounds realllly nice. The other direction sounds slightly more chirpy unless I put a slight load on the axis when moving it, which quiets it. Is it typical to end up with a different personality to the directions like that?

cheers
Mike in Alaska