Re: AP1100 loading heavy scope at 60 inch pier height

dvjbaja

If I had a permanent spot, I'd go immediately for one of those Pier-Tech adjustable piers.  The new models look very robust and the flexibility of eye position would be excellent.  Alas, I am stuck lifting my 180 f/7 to the top of a 48" height on the 1100 and Losmandy tripod.  Not too bad, but over the years, I have indeed noticed how the 180 has gained weight.   So it does not get used and sits in storage. A refuge for spiders.   I dont' have such problems with the 10" Mak-cass.  It's much easier and lighter to handle, and honestly a superior observing experience.  Good luck and clear sky.

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 11:12 AM Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...> wrote:
@Christian thanks for the link

@dvjbaja I have been using my wife for the lift up on a Parmount MX which I no longer have. The PMX has a RA/DEC lock mechanism so I can lock it with CWs sideways and mount it with the saddle. The AP mounts do not have such a lock and I must either use Park2 or 3 with CWs down. I have been agonizing over getting my pier and concrete torn up to get an adjustable pier to help.

Thanks for the continuing mind share.

Shailesh