Re: AP1100 loading heavy scope at 60 inch pier height

dvjbaja

Why not get a friend or that special someone in your life to help you lift the tube assembly?  Or even better, buy one of those motorized, height adjustable piers and skip the friend entirely.  ???

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 9:31 AM christian viladrich <christian.viladrich@...> wrote:

Hi,

I don't know whether it could be of any use for you guys, here is something used for motorcycles.

The link is in French, but you can probably figure out how it works. Maximum height of the platform in 900 mm :

https://www.manomano.fr/p/table-elevatrice-hydraulique-moto-capacite-135-kg-s15344-5453476

Christian

Le 01/05/2021 à 14:39, M Hambrick a écrit :
Hi Shailesh

I live at 30 Deg North latitude and can confirm that there is no risk of the scope rolling out of the rings when I set it into the open rings in Park 2. I expect that this is also the case at even lower latitudes. Next time I set up my mount I may try some different latitude settings to see what the limit really is.

FYI I have a 180 EDT with an 1100 mount on a 54" Astro-Physics portable pier. My setup is portable and I set it up and take it down every time. I agree that using a step ladder to get the scope up to the rings is a pretty dicey operation. I bought the folding step stool with hand rails shown below from McMaster (Model 9754T77) that has made this operation much easier.

If you don't mount and dismount your scope very often, Len's method sounds pretty good too.

Do you have a permanent observatory ? If so, I wonder if it is possible to install some kind of lifting apparatus in the roof.

Mike