Re: [ap-ug] A colorful Southern Sky Beauty

Jeff B

Oh boy.  😱🤕

That's too bad.  I actually find myself grieving a bit like the loss of a friend.  I wonder how bad the chip is and if it could be masked.  I imagine it's languishing in some closet someplace.  Too bad.  

I don't see the pre-Travelers up for sale very often, as well as the old 5" f6.  The folks who have them now are obviously smarter than me and hanging on to them.🙄   

Jeff

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:30 AM <chris1011@...> wrote:
Last I heard the person who bought that lens managed to drop it and chip the glass. I don't recall the name anymore.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: chris1011@...
Cc: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Apr 30, 2021 8:29 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] A colorful Southern Sky Beauty

Hey Roland.

Yes, you called it your "Mars Lens".  I made a straight through bino-friendly (the old Celestron viewer) OTA around it with a Parks fiberglass tube (in retrospect, the fiberglass was not a good idea) and mounted it on a modified Cave Observatory beast inside a 14 x 14 foot observatory with a roll off roof.  It served me well and after I moved here to Ohio, a few years later I pretty much exited the hobby for ~ 10 years, selling the 7" in the process in the early 90's.  I've been trying to track it down with no success.    It was very good!  Attached is one surviving photo of Venus, single shot, K64, "hat trick".  Visually, the image was just incredible, very white with much detail in the cloud structure around the terminator.  

My other big regret was selling off my pre-traveler 4" F6 triplets (I had two).  It was an astonishing telephoto lens, especially with the reducer flattener (which BTW, I still have) at F4.  Super bright, with exceptional contrast and very manageable.  My Olympus's light meter would read it as an F2.8 lens.

Jeff

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 9:21 PM <chris1011@...> wrote:
yep, I rem,ember doing that with my Nikon camera and Tri-X film.
Whatever happened to that 7"F15 lens? It was one of the first lenses we ever made.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Cc: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Apr 29, 2021 7:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] A colorful Southern Sky Beauty

That's great Roland and what a wonderful story.  

Yeah, looking back, the days of film seem down right barbarous today.   For lunar/planetary shots, I did the old "hat trick".  I'd focus the old Olympus OM-1 as best I could with a magnifier, retract the mirror, climb up on the ladder and literally placed a hat over the objective (it was a 7" F15 triplet you made), climb back down, open the shutter, climbed back up, slowly pulled the hot forward so it was not touching the scope, waited a few seconds for vibration to settle, flip the hat away then back over the lens to do the exposure, climbed back down again and closed the shutter.

For the next exposure, I did it all-over-again.   

I do NOT miss those days....except that I had a 2 in front of my age.  That part I do miss.

Jeff

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 7:47 PM Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:
Great stuff Roland! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I always marvel at the incredible works posted by this group but it is so fun to see the results of impromptu pix. That’s some kinda nice “telephoto” lens you used. 

😂😂😂

Pete

On Apr 29, 2021, at 7:16 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Astronuts,

I uploaded a second image taken at my Hawaii observatory. While cruising around the southern skies with my 175 refractor, visually, I was struck by the brightness and beauty of this famous object. Now I know that this has been imaged with much more high resolution cameras and scopes, in narrowband and RGB etc, and this image is nowhere near what can be done with even rudimentary equipment. It's just a quick snapshot of a small number of 30 second exposures with my Sony DSLR replacing my 2" eyepiece in the diagonal. No guiding, no processing, just a fun image. It actually looked similar visually in my 2" eyepiece, but without the bright colors that the camera recorded.

I would have been over the Moon if I could have done something like this back 30 years ago with color slide film. Would have taken over an hour, with me glued to a guiding reticle eyepiece, pushing buttons to and fro to keep the guide star on the crosshairs. And then have the film destroyed at the local photo developer (don't laugh, it happened to me a few times).

Rolando

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.