That's too bad.  I actually find myself grieving a bit like the loss of a friend.  I wonder how bad the chip is and if it could be masked.  I imagine it's languishing in some closet someplace.  Too bad.

I don't see the pre-Travelers up for sale very often, as well as the old 5" f6.  The folks who have them now are obviously smarter than me and hanging on to them.🙄

Jeff

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:30 AM <chris1011@...> wrote:
Last I heard the person who bought that lens managed to drop it and chip the glass. I don't recall the name anymore.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Blazey <mnebula946@...>
To: chris1011@...
Cc: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Apr 30, 2021 8:29 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] A colorful Southern Sky Beauty

Hey Roland.

Yes, you called it your "Mars Lens".  I made a straight through bino-friendly (the old Celestron viewer) OTA around it with a Parks fiberglass tube (in retrospect, the fiberglass was not a good idea) and mounted it on a modified Cave Observatory beast inside a 14 x 14 foot observatory with a roll off roof.  It served me well and after I moved here to Ohio, a few years later I pretty much exited the hobby for ~ 10 years, selling the 7" in the process in the early 90's.  I've been trying to track it down with no success.    It was very good!  Attached is one surviving photo of Venus, single shot, K64, "hat trick".  Visually, the image was just incredible, very white with much detail in the cloud structure around the terminator.

My other big regret was selling off my pre-traveler 4" F6 triplets (I had two).  It was an astonishing telephoto lens, especially with the reducer flattener (which BTW, I still have) at F4.  Super bright, with exceptional contrast and very manageable.  My Olympus's light meter would read it as an F2.8 lens.

Jeff

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 9:21 PM <chris1011@...> wrote:
yep, I rem,ember doing that with my Nikon camera and Tri-X film.
Whatever happened to that 7"F15 lens? It was one of the first lenses we ever made.