Re: Small AP Mount Ideas

Roland Christen

Yes, you are probably reading it wrong. In the statement below I did not say anything about a permanent setup being less stable. What I meant was, if you are going to build a permanent system with a 180 refractor, I would opt for a larger mount. But for quick setups at a weekend outing, the Mach2 on an Eagle pier (or equivalent) will hold a 180 refractor. For a permanent setup i would go with either the 1100 or 1600 size mount. The you can load it up to your heart's content with all kinds of secondary equipment.

From: Eric Weiner <weinere@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Apr 30, 2021 10:31 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Small AP Mount Ideas

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 09:19 AM, Roland Christen wrote:
Just a reminder, the Mach2 will handle a 180mm size refractor for imaging on a weekend outing to your favorite dark sky site. I have done it with mine, but it takes an Eagle pier to hold that. I would not do it for a permanent setup,
Roland,

You've got me confused with that statement.  Are you staying the Eagle is more stable for a 180mm refractor than a permanent setup?  Am I just reading your comment wrong?

Thanks,
Eric