Re: [ap-ug] A colorful Southern Sky Beauty

Jeff B

That's great Roland and what a wonderful story.

Yeah, looking back, the days of film seem down right barbarous today.   For lunar/planetary shots, I did the old "hat trick".  I'd focus the old Olympus OM-1 as best I could with a magnifier, retract the mirror, climb up on the ladder and literally placed a hat over the objective (it was a 7" F15 triplet you made), climb back down, open the shutter, climbed back up, slowly pulled the hot forward so it was not touching the scope, waited a few seconds for vibration to settle, flip the hat away then back over the lens to do the exposure, climbed back down again and closed the shutter.

For the next exposure, I did it all-over-again.

I do NOT miss those days....except that I had a 2 in front of my age.  That part I do miss.

Jeff

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 7:47 PM Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:
Great stuff Roland! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I always marvel at the incredible works posted by this group but it is so fun to see the results of impromptu pix. That’s some kinda nice “telephoto” lens you used.

😂😂😂

Pete

On Apr 29, 2021, at 7:16 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Astronuts,

I uploaded a second image taken at my Hawaii observatory. While cruising around the southern skies with my 175 refractor, visually, I was struck by the brightness and beauty of this famous object. Now I know that this has been imaged with much more high resolution cameras and scopes, in narrowband and RGB etc, and this image is nowhere near what can be done with even rudimentary equipment. It's just a quick snapshot of a small number of 30 second exposures with my Sony DSLR replacing my 2" eyepiece in the diagonal. No guiding, no processing, just a fun image. It actually looked similar visually in my 2" eyepiece, but without the bright colors that the camera recorded.

I would have been over the Moon if I could have done something like this back 30 years ago with color slide film. Would have taken over an hour, with me glued to a guiding reticle eyepiece, pushing buttons to and fro to keep the guide star on the crosshairs. And then have the film destroyed at the local photo developer (don't laugh, it happened to me a few times).