Re: What Level of Cone Error Requires Mechanical Adjustment?

Roland Christen

8 arc minutes is probably too small to mess with. What scope are you working with and what mount?

From: mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Apr 27, 2021 12:14 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] What Level of Cone Error Requires Mechanical Adjustment?

I have been getting squirrelly results from various APPM runs which could easily be attributed to a suboptimal camera setup (15x20 arc minute FOV, very low image scale) which I am in the process of correcting with a different camera, if USPS ever delivers it.

Some of those runs suggested a high degree of cone error, on the order of 3-5 degrees, which I found hard to believe. So I thought I'd check it out. I just ran Cone Sharp and it concluded my cone error was just over 8 arcminutes.

I assume that a proper APPM model will easily correct for that. Or should I mechanically shim first to reduce the cone error? I'd rather not attempt that.