Re: Interesting Behavior with APCC Pro and Pegasus Astro UPBv2

W Hilmo

Hey, that’s interesting.

If APPM can run and start from the command line, that is probably sufficient to make it work with NINA as well.  If I can define the sample points and configuration ahead of time, and then kick it off from the command line, that would be fine.  The ability to specific sample points from a script would be a “nice to have”, but this looks like all that is really needed.

Thanks,

-Wade

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Long
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2021 12:06 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Interesting Behavior with APCC Pro and Pegasus Astro UPBv2

Wade,

Voyager's Drag Script interface can be used to automate this and your imaging session, flats session, and ending processes in one script.

Ray added the ability to call and start APPM from the command line, which would be used in this case by Drag Script.

Bill

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Gralak <iogroups@...>
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2021 10:48 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Interesting Behavior with APCC Pro and Pegasus Astro UPBv2

Wade,

> For imaging, I've been set up for unattended operation for over 10 years, now.  Having to be at the mount to
> start APPM, and then again to start the automation after APPM is finished, is a big step backwards.  I know that
> I could set the automation to start later in the evening, but if APPM runs longer than I expect (say, due to a few
> plate solve failures), things get confused quickly when two different pieces of software are trying to control the
> mount.

As I think you know, automation is not 100% reliable. Since you would be at a dark site, the value of good imaging results will be important, so I would be surprised if you didn't want to check progress occasionally!

But let's think this through. Say that APPM could be automated. That wouldn't prevent APPM from getting hung up on a bad plate-solve or other error. How would you detect this and delay your automated imaging session?

> If this isn't something that neither you nor Astro-Physics, wants to pursue, that's fine.  I'll find a workflow that
> does what I need.  I did want to get my request out there, though.

Understood, and thanks for posting your idea. I have put it on my list of potential future features.

-Ray

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.