Re: Interesting Behavior with APCC Pro and Pegasus Astro UPBv2

W Hilmo

I've been running automated long enough now, that I have a pretty reliable system. The other day, I set up the automation and started it during the day, and then left for the weekend, leaving it to go on its own (the forecast was for "severe clear" well past the weekend). I pulled the data from it when I got home. That's not to say that I don't get periodic errors, but usually it just means that I don't get the data that I want. I've been doing this long enough that I just shrug it off, even if it happens at a dark sky site.

At star parties. I do check on things periodically when I'm nearby, but I am busiest with social activities in the early darkness hours. If I am working with the imaging rig early in the evening, it takes me much longer to get stuff done, because I am frequently interrupted. I also enjoy outreach, and frequently invite astronomy newbies, or people without scopes, to come to our site for some visual observing (I have multiple setups going, with a few visual scopes in addition to my imaging rig). I usually ask them to arrive just before dark so that I can show them the scopes, etc.

Thanks,
-Wade

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ray Gralak
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2021 10:48 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Interesting Behavior with APCC Pro and Pegasus Astro UPBv2

Wade,

For imaging, I've been set up for unattended operation for over 10
years, now. Having to be at the mount to start APPM, and then again
to start the automation after APPM is finished, is a big step
backwards. I know that I could set the automation to start later in
the evening, but if APPM runs longer than I expect (say, due to a few plate solve failures), things get confused quickly when two different pieces of software are trying to control the mount.
As I think you know, automation is not 100% reliable. Since you would be at a dark site, the value of good imaging results will be important, so I would be surprised if you didn't want to check progress occasionally!

But let's think this through. Say that APPM could be automated. That wouldn't prevent APPM from getting hung up on a bad plate-solve or other error. How would you detect this and delay your automated imaging session?

If this isn't something that neither you nor Astro-Physics, wants to
pursue, that's fine. I'll find a workflow that does what I need. I did want to get my request out there, though.
Understood, and thanks for posting your idea. I have put it on my list of potential future features.

-Ray

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.