Re: GTOCP4 Caps

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Karen,

Now I see ... in the KIT, those are actually all, in fact, desert “Dust Caps”, but I like to use them to keep any contaminants, wet or dry, off the pins.
Makes sense now. I mistook the rubber cones as leak-plugs, so NOT everyone should be using those, except out west.
Good idea.   :-)

But, maybe add a warning on the instruction sheet, just in case there is a misunderstanding on their application.
My original CP4, and later Mach-2 ones as well,  came with the cone plugs already  installed, so folks east of the great divide, areas  of greater humidity, should be advised to remove them, if installed by a former owner, from out west.
At first, Tony and I thought they were AP pre-installed, for some reason,  as “Case rubber bumpers”.

Glad that is now settled.

Joe

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 10:33 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] GTOCP4 Caps

Hi Joe,

In addition to Mike’s comments regarding bugs, I would add that some folks use their astro equipment in desert-like settings where dew is not a significant problem, but dust is.  Hence the cone-shaped plugs.  We try to think of everyone in our designs.

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Zeglinski
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 10:09 PM

Question to the group.

Can anyone think of a logical  reason to plug “drainage holes”  with those rubber cones?

Do we really want to make sure that any dew or other source of moisture  leaking into the controller, should be kept inside? 

The only thing I can think of is to keep any itsy-bitsy bugs out – but then why drill the two holes into the case, in the first place?

Perhaps that is covered somewhere in the user guide :-)

Joe

Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 8:50 PM

Hi Pete

Those cone shaped plugs are used to plug the drain / vent holes in the bottom of the GTOCP4 housing. Tony (a.k.a. Harley Davidson) made an excellent video a couple years ago about the need to have drain holes in the housing to allow condensate to drain out.

Mike

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.