From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of W Hilmo
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2021 6:16 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Interesting Behavior with APCC Pro and Pegasus Astro UPBv2

One more update:

tl;dr: Inconclusive.

The last couple of nights has been tough. We had a weather change and Wednesday night was a loss. Early
evening was clouded over, so when NINA started the run, the centering and focusing failed. I stopped the
sequence, changed the start time to 1:00am and then started the sequence again. It should have been clear at
1:00, and it probably was, but the second run of the sequence failed. Specifically, it didn't unpark the mount.
This is probably my fault, for using the mount while NINA was paused waiting for time. I suspect that NINA
thought that it had already unparked the mount, but I had manually parked it to avoid it tracking past the
meridian, since my target transited just before midnight. Anyway, at least I learned a few things about my
automation software. I'll avoid changing the state of the system while NINA is waiting.

Last night was clear, but seriously windy. I have a few subs where the stars have tails in the RA direction on
both sides. I'm guessing that these were particularly strong gusts, and I'm seeing the encoder putting the
mount back where it belongs. The good news is that, even though the wind was howling all night long. Only
about 3, out of 48, ten minute exposures show this behavior. The system in general seems pretty resilient to
wind. Once I get the observatory built, I suspect that I won't have any wind problems.

As far as unguided tracking, I have a few subs with round stars, and I have lots of them with egg shaped stars,
elongated in a different direction that the RA oscillations I mentioned above. The magnitude of the elongation
seems smaller than it was before I discovered that refraction correction was disabled.

At this point, it's going to be a few days before we get clear skies again. I think that I'm going to redo the model
for the next run (and I did verify in the PNT files, that the temperature was correct at the time I made the current
one). I'm using a portable field pier, so it's possible some settling has occurred (but it's been there for a while).

Question for Ray: Would it be interesting to validate the current model before making a new one?

Thanks,
-Wade